Monday, January 13, 2014

OWH Sketch Challenge 207

Many years ago my husband and I had a Conure named Buddy.  He was a very fun little guy, but boy, he could bite us a good one when he had a mind to!  We don't have Buddy anymore (but we do have a very nice female Superb Parrot named Tweeter whom we've had for the past twenty-five years or so).   Since we love birds and the Hero Arts bird reminds me of the Conure we had so long ago,  I'm guessing that's why I'm so taken with this little bird from the new OWH fundraiser set from Hero Arts. This week's OWH Sketch Challenge 207 gave me an opportunity to make some more cards with him.  The dot paper is from Fancy Pants Designs Off to School and the squares were cut with Spellbinders square dies.  I haven't done it yet, but I will be adding Glossy Accents to his eyes for a bit of dimension.

Just a quick note if anyone is as leery as I am of cutting those small strips for that bit on the right:  I cut my strip from a 1-/34" square about 1/2" wide then simply trimmed it to to fit after gluing it down to the card base.  (All of the square pieces are first glued on top of a 4" x 2" strip of black cardstock and I just let that little piece hang off the end. Next I attached that unit to the dot background piece and then trimmed both the right side and the left side to make sure everything was even.)   Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for visiting and I hope you are having a great day!

8 comments:

  1. Lee Mae, This is such a cute bird and I loved reading your story about your birds. Thanks for the tip on cutting that small piece. It can be intimidating at times. Enjoy your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I approach designs with a bunch of small pieces that need to be lined up in the exact same way. Seems to be the easiest for me and usually the results are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip about aligning those squares and strips! I love all the polka dots with that bird image! BTW, concerning flattening ribbons, I always tie the satin ribbon loosely - then they're easier to flatten for mailing with a heavy book or something on top of them overnight. The tighter you make the knots, the lumpier the card is! Also, the SU! candi dots are 3/16" wide if that helps :) They're small and flat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your birdie is adorable and thanks for the tip on the little strip! Great colors and use of the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great card, love those big circles, just the right touch for the active bird! I love your tip for that little strip, I actually do it the same way! Guillotine cutters are the best! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The colors in your paper and the colors on the bird are just perfect together. Great job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the same method for trimming little bits like you mentioned, so, yes, it does make sense to me. In fact, I just did it a few days ago! Love the bird card. Normally I would cringe over those dots, but it works really well on this card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card, the colors are perfect! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and always appreciated!