Wednesday, April 3, 2013

OWH Midweek Throwdown Challenge - Tags 'n Twine

The Midweek Throwdown Challenge at Operation Write Home's Stars and Stamps blog is to use Tags 'n Twine.  I decided to try using some of my tags from K&Company which I purchased on clearance over a year ago.  I haven't found a way to really use them, but I think I have a "go-to" layout thanks to Jill Foster at her blog Inspired By.  Please take a minute to visit her blog post (here) and see the cards I based mine on.  She even has a fun video showing all of the techniques used in making her cards.  Her blog is full of great ideas and inspiration.

Details:
  • Sentiment stamp from Technique Tuesday
  • K&Company tag and paper
  • Sizzix/Tim Holtz Texture Fades embossing folder Gridlock
  • Ranger Wild Honey distress ink applied around the tag and on the "bumpy" side of the embossing folder before running it through my Big Shot 
  • My Favorite Things border die Dainty Lace
  • Candi Dot
  • Twine - 2 separate pieces (I punched a hole and left a tail end of each piece behind the card front and pulled the other end through making a loop for each one.  I dabbed on some Quick Drying Tacky Glue from 3M and held the pieces by hand for about 30 seconds and then applied some Glossy Accents to the back of the Candi Dot and placed it directly over the twine as shown.  The Candi Dot is staying put very well and isn't warping from the glue or the twine underneath.)  One more tip about the twine.  I don't like how stiff the twine is, so I flatten it out before I use it by holding one end and running my bone folder down the length of it.  This takes the roundness away and keeps my embellishment flatter for running through the postal machine.
I really enjoyed this challenge since it gave me a chance to follow up on some discussion Paula shared with us on Facebook and her blog about using these tags from K&Co.  Here is her post showing some other nice layouts for using premade tags.

Have a great day!

Adding another card:

10 comments:

  1. Great card and I love how you used the twine. thanks for the hint on how to soften the twine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thisi is a beautiful card! I love the colors and the vintage flavor of the tag. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card==this tag was perfect for this. I love the embossing folder you use-- so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Card! Love your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your different layers and textures, and the sentiment is perfect for an OWH card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! I especially love the inking on the embossing. I have that folder, and will give your technique a try! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful card Lee Mae, I have a hard time using the larger tags on cards too. I love the way yours turned out!

    Thanks for playing in our Operation Write Home Midweek Throwdown challenge ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Lee Mae! I love those tags from K&Company and the butterflies too. Now I just need to use them more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lee Mae,

    This is such a pretty card. I love the embossing!

    Thanks for the tip about using a bone folder on the twine. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out really nice Lee Mae! I love how the twine and brad are combined. It's a nice finishing touch. I am almost done with my bargain bin tags...but I think I need to aoid looking at all the great tag & twine cards on this MWT or I will find myslef buying more! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and always appreciated!