Monday, January 21, 2013

Monochromatic Card for OWH Design Bootcamp - Basic Color Theory Class

Paula's class for Operation Write Home on basic color theory (found here) is a fantastic resource for planning color schemes for cards.  I learned some great basics which I have lacked since I pretty much come by my color mixing and matching skills from quilting, knitting, and counted cross stitching.  I decided to make another card using this week's OWH sketch since I had decided against making it yesterday, but it would not leave me alone, so I made it for today's class since it fits in with the monochromatic color scheme portion of today's class.

Details:
  • OWH sketch 156
  • Hero Arts image and sentiment stamps
  • Candi Dots colored with black Copic marker
  • Basic Grey papers
In case it helps anyone, I used 3-M foam tape (Sandy's precious) for the Candi Dots.  I used a hole puncher - the size that punches the 3-ring binder sized holes - to punch a sticky dot for the backs of the Candi Dots.  I really like the size and height of them better than the pre-made squares that are made for the Dots.  

8 comments:

  1. this is very lovely. I like the lone floral stamp. The paper is stunning.
    Hummer Hugs,
    Misty
    http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
    hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  2. The monochromatic color harmony is definitely my favorite. You have done a wonderful job with yours. Love that patterned paper paired with the flower stamp. This turned out perfect for the sketch challenge also. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Lee Mae! Adding the black really adds a nice contrast and the simple stamp against the white really draws the eye right to it. The Blue/Black combination is one I don't do often but I should... it's a great masculine combo. Thanks for letting me use one of your cards as a sample in the class too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful job with Monochromatic -- I think these type color schemes are my favorite. You've got a great eye for color and style.

    Sharon S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! The candy dots are great--perfect size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card. So stunning! Thanks for the tips on the precious. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty shade of blue! :) this is a great card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee Mae,

    Love this interpretation of this week's Throwdown sketch. You've made an elegant, gender-neutral card. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and always appreciated!